Saturday 1 May 2010

PORTUGAL

THEY ARE:
The poor cousins of Spain. I went on holiday to the Algarve a number of years ago and it was an awful experience. It tainted the country for me forever.

AS A FOOTBALL NATION:
They have knocked England out their last two football tournaments (fairly in Euro 2004 and by foul in the 2006 World Cup). Indeed Portugal was hosts of the European Championships in 2004. These days they are a much fancied footballing nation.

MY OWN EXPERIENCE:
Not good I have to say. When Ronaldo cheated to get Wayne Rooney sent off at the last World Cup it was a truly deplorable act. My old will often take the time out to tell me of the greatness of Eusebio but I am having none of it.

IN 2010:
With Ronaldo on board they are still dangerous and still a threat. They are in the Group Of Death (Group G) so it is plausible/possible that they will not make it out of the group stage but this just promises an interesting and exciting set of games.

FAMOUS PLAYERS:
Eusebio and Ronaldo. One was a prince and one is a whore. There has also been Paolo Futre and Luis Figo amongst others. Jose Mourinho is famous and Portuguese too.

MOST OBVIOUS REFERENCE:
Nandos innit.

AWAY FROM FOOTBALL:
Lisbon has the largest aquarium in Europe. Nelly Furtado is half Portuguese and half Canadian.

NUMBER OF PEOPLE FROM PORTUGAL THAT I KNOW:
One of the bartenders at work called Filipe is from Portugal and his voice is exactly the same as Mourinho. It is pretty cool, unlike his hairstyle.

QUOTE FROM A PORTUGUESE PERSON:
Not coming.

DO I LIKE THEM:
No I do not. Well, I didn’t until I drew them in a sweepstake.

FINAL COMMENT:
I would like to punch Ronaldo on the adam’s apple. Does he realize how much he looks like a young Cliff Richard?

No comments:

Post a Comment